It is now cool and wet and dark and all I want to do is curl up with lots of blankets, read books and sip on tea. And that made me come up with this month’s, very simple challenge:
This month, I challenge you to stop buying tea prepackaged in bags, switch to loose tea and use a reusable strainer.
Here’s a picture of all my strainers on my favourite tea towel.
This is almost too simple a challenge but it
- Saves lots of tiny pieces of packaging, you’re often not sure if its paper or plastic or some merged materials-Frankenstein, never possible to separate and destined for burning/landfill.
- Saves the tea bags, which, by the way, are usually not fully biodegradable (even the ones that say they are, might need some kind of magic industrial composting system) and sometimes contain plastics which shouldn’t necessarily be dunked in boiling water meant for drinking.
- Saves money. In most cases. If you calculate per weight-unit of tea.
- Has the potential to make your tea cabinet looking much more witch-kitchen- or crazy-pharmacist-style, rather than a jumbled up mess of boxes tumbling into your face when you open the cabinet door.
- Gives you more freedom to mix and match flavours. Maybe you can create your own signature blend and gift a little container to friends next time you need a little present. I for one, make the best chai mix I have ever tasted from spices I buy loose at the package-free-store.
My witches kitchen collection of store bought teas and foraged herbal mixes
Ok, that’s it! Happy tea and reading everyone!
1 thought on “Nature Care Challenge | November 2021: Let the Tea Loose!”
BRAVO – Free Tea – taste better, composts better, and we do not have to drink plastic or glue from teabags. Anyway who came up with this stupid Idea, to put tea in little Bags, and put Bags in plastic, an the plastic covered bags in a box, and then the box again in plastic….
Didn´t we just want a good cup of tea? What´s all that extra garbage for?