It snowed! It’s cold! And I decided to get back into the habit of having fruit for breakfast.
There is not a lot of fruit in the middle of winter but thankfully the freezer is full of things from when the garden was full of food.
I just made something with what I had, and it was so good I had to write it down and share before I forget.
It’s nice and warming, makes you feel healthy and ready for the day and it only takes 5 minutes to make.
Ingredients for 1 portion:
- 1 defrosted pear with the juice that comes out when you defrost fruit.
If you don’t have frozen pear, but a fresh (mushier is better) one, throw it in the blender or chop fine and make sure you get all the juice.
- A piece of fresh ginger, about the size of an almond/walnut (depends on how spicy/healthy you want it).
- A hand full of oats.
- 1/2 hand full of almonds, coarsely chopped.
- Cinnamon for garnish (optional).
- Throw all the ingredients, except the cinnamon, in a small pot over low heat.
- Gently warm and stir until the pear falls apart and everything is moist and bubbling. If there isn’t enough pear juice and you’re worried about burning, add water.
- Serve in a bowl that warms your hands and sprinkle with cinnamon.
PS: Our pears are super sweet and juicy. If yours are not, consider adding some sweetening like honey or whatever you use to sweeten your breakfasts.